August 12, 2010

Alone time in Seattle


Matt and I were able to take a few days and go to Seattle without Brady. Not that we don't love him but to be perfectly honest, it was bliss. I think every parent needs a break from their kids so they can be reminded of how much they love them. We missed Brady a lot but it was so nice to be alone and not have to worry about him. Matt's sister Angie was so nice to take him for us. I'm sure Brady had a great time too since attention was not lacking from his cousins. 



Day One:
We arrived on a Tuesday and immediately went for lunch at a very fun restaurant called The Crab Pot. They literally dump a pot of seafood on the table and you eat it with your hands. It was so much fun and very delicious as well. We ate as much as we could but it was lot of food so there was a lot left over. After lunch we headed to a fun little shop called Ye Olde Curiosity Shop. It's a wacky place. They have 2 real mummies and a bunch of shrunken heads. Kind of creepy but cool at the same time. We walked through the Seattle aquarium on our way to Pikes Market. Pikes Market is a huge farmers market and I would seriously go there everyday and get fresh flowers if we lived there. It was huge and busy and so fun. There is a place that has fresh fish. There are a bunch of guys that work there and when fish is ordered they throw it across to the person at the cash register and they catch it and wrap it up. It was really entertaining to watch. After that, we headed to our hotel and took a nice long 2 hour uninterrupted nap. It was awesome. That night we hopped on a city bus and headed to Safeco field to see the Seattle Mariners play. We love going to sports games together. After the game we left the stadium to walk back to the hotel or maybe take a cab.
Our hotel was a good 2 miles from the stadium and not in the best part of town so we thought it might be best to take a cab. When we walked out there were all of these guys on bikes with little two seater carriages behind them. One guy was practically begging us to let him take us to our hotel. We told him that it was far but he said he could do it so we thought we'd go for it. Now, if you've ever been to Seattle you know that it's built a lot like San Francisco and the roads are sometimes really really steep. So, starting out this guy was doing great. He was going fast, zipping around, and talking to us. He was a really nice guy. All of a sudden we hit a really steep hill and he got really quiet and we started going so slow. I think we could have walked faster than he was peddling. We felt bad  because it's not like we are the lightest load but it was really funny at the same time. He had to pull over and take off his jacket. Finally Matt just told him to pull over and we would just walk the rest of the way. All he said was "I won't argue with you there!" He dropped us off a little over a mile from our hotel so we just walked the rest of the way. I'm so glad we took that bike ride because it was hilarious. Once we got back to our hotel we ordered some pizza and went to bed.









Day Two:
It was so nice to sleep in until 8 AM without any interruptions that night. I felt so rejuvenated and was so ready to have a great day. We got up and got ready then headed to this cute little bakery for breakfast. On the way there we saw some smoke coming from a building and suddenly all of these fire trucks pulled up really fast and firemen started jumping out and running into the building. It was a little scary and it totally stopped traffic in the middle of downtown. We watched for a bit then went to the bakery. We ate the best hazelnut orange pinwheels I have ever had! I got the recipe so I need to try it out sometime soon. We walked to the space needle after and that was so cool. It's crazy that the space needle is the safest building in Seattle. You would never think that because it is so tall and skinny but it is built to withstand a 9.8 earthquake. We walked around the gift shop to find something for Brady. We got him this cute little red crab that says Seattle on it. He loves it! We went over to the Pacific Science Center and walked around all of the exhibits until our movie started. We saw Inception on the IMAX. We both loved the movie and it was so fun to see it on an IMAX screen. After the movie got out, we walked over to the mall and had dinner at the Mexico Cafe. It was so good. I love all of the fun restaurants they have in Seattle. It's nice to go to different places than the norm for a change. We walked back to our hotel, stopping at a grocery store on the way to pick up some ice cream for dessert. We both went to bed pretty early that night, around 10:30. We were tired from all of the walking but it was a great day.









Day Three:

Again, we slept in until 8ish and headed back to the bakery for breakfast. We had to check out by 11 so we decided to just take our car down to where the Harbor cruise was that we would be taking at 11:30. We got there just in time for our cruise and got seated on the boat. It was so much fun! I think this was one of my favorite things because we got to see the city in a different way. It is such a beautiful city and I love the skyline. I took a million pictures. While we were on the boat the Blue Angels were flying overhead. They were in town for Seafair and were practicing. They were doing tricks and dive bombs. It was so cool but really hard to get a decent
picture of them. I think I only got one. Because of Seafair there were also a lot of Navy ships and crew walking around Seattle. I got a bunch of pictures of this one Navy ship but only one turned out very good. There was a security boat that rode right along side of us almost the entire cruise for the safety of all of the Navy ships. There was a guy on the front of that boat with a huge gun. I thought it was a little much but I guess they did it for a reason. The cruise was an hour long and it was fun to hear the history of Seattle and a bunch of stories and facts about the city. We went to Ivers for lunch and got the classic clam chowder and fish and chips. I love seafood so Seattle was a good place for me. After lunch, we didn't really have anything else left to do so we decided to head home and see our bug. Brady was a little unsure about us when we got home but it didn't take
long for him to remember who we were.

 


 















We had a great trip and it was much needed. I think we grew a lot closer as a couple. We've decided that we will take a trip together alone every year from now on. Now we just need to decided where to go next :)

3 comments:

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

I seriously cannot imagine what three days without kids would be like! How fabulous for you guys! I can imagine it was a great refresher for your relationship too. :)

Tonight when Ryan came home I told him the story about your little rikshaw man. We were laughing so hard!

Miss you guys!! We may come to Utah for Christmas. I know it's crazy at Christmastime, but it would be awesome if we could squeeze in a little get-together!

Rachael said...

ok all I can say is JEALOUS! That sounds like SO much fun! Tell Matt to convince Houston that we need a vacation like that!! I'll bring you back something if you do! :) haha! glad you guys had a good time! Just a few more months and we'll have to get Kasey and Jenn to watch our children so we can go out on a grown-up date!

Lena Gilbert said...

Katelyn-How fun! Kevin and I have been able to get away a few times this past year over night and it has been awesome. Sounds like you guys had a great time..any time when you can sleep in and not have kids always feels like a luxury.I agree with you..a trip alone every year is definitely needed! We are going to New Zealand in April if you want to come along...