June 28, 2010

Surgery Day



Brady had "surgery" on Friday, June 25. I guess it really isn't surgery since they didn't have to make any incisions into the skin so all of the doctors and nurses kept calling it a "procedure" but it was just easier to say surgery to anyone who would ask :)

So...Brady's procedure to get tubes in his ears and his left eye probed to open his tear duct went really well. I was nervous about him having to be put under but it was so fast I hardly had time to get myself really worked up about it. Unfortunately, Matt was not able to go with me because of a delayed flight home from a business trip in Denver but thankfully my wonderful mother graciously got up at 4:30 AM to stand by my side. We had to be at the hospital in SLC at 6 so needed to leave around 5. I was really hoping that Brady would stay asleep as I very cautiously buckled him into his carseat but, of course, he woke up...at least he was happy the whole way there. We checked in and met with some nurses and doctors then it was time to wait. Around 7 AM Brady started to get fussy...I'm sure it was because he was hungry. Poor kid hadn't eaten anything since 10 the night before. Luckily, I was able to rock him back to sleep and by the time the anesthesiologist came for him, he was out. It was much easier to hand him off than if he had been awake so I am grateful for that. My mom and I waited in the waiting room for about 25 minutes then they called me back. Brady looked so small on the big hospital bed. They were feeding him a bottle of sugar water and he was just gulping it down. They wheeled him to recovery where I finally got to hold him. He was pretty upset and really not happy about the way he was feeling. We gave him another bottle of sugar water and that didn't really help so I asked for another. He drank that so fast but after he was still really upset. I asked the nurse if I could give him one more and she said it was probably ok since he hadn't thrown up yet. He drank that last bottle and was finally content with 8 oz. of sugar water in his tummy. The nurse kept saying "I've never seen a baby wake up from anesthesia so hungry before." He's such a funny little guy :)


He was pretty sleepy most of the day (totally zonked out in the car on the way home then again 1 hour later for 3 hours) and I just let him sleep as long as he wanted to. I couldn't believe the difference I was already seeing in him. He has been the happiest, best sleeping, most smiley baby that ever lived. I'm so glad he is feeling better and that he (and I) can finally get some more sleep. All in all, worth it...so hard...but worth it.

I must say though, he looked pretty cute in that little hospital gown :)


See the difference in his left eye:

Before

After
We are pretty sure Brady can hear so much better now. He has always been a really vocal and noisy baby but now he has learned to scream...REALLY loud. I think he has figured out that he can be really loud if he wants to. This video was taken the day he had his procedure done.


2 comments:

The Egan Family said...

My hubby's nephews had to get those also! They are great, just a bummer that they can't go under water while they have them! Glad things went well, looks like Brady is doing great :)

Whitney R said...

I'm so glad to hear he is so much better! It is such an amazing difference, huh. Naomi is teething - we can see/feel buds up top and I think that explains why she is still a little bit of a drama queen. But still a lot better than before.

I loved the video - made me laugh. Naomi went through a screaming phase and I'm not sure I captured much of it on video and I wish I did because we miss it! It was so funny. Brady is so cute! :)