May 30, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend




Matt and I had the best weekend ever. We finally got to get away and take a break from work and all the busy things that we have been doing lately. It was so nice to go to San Francisco for the weekend and just relax. We left on Saturday afternoon and went to the Oakland A's baseball game. They were playing the Boston Red Sox so we definitely couldn't pass that up. It was so much fun. The stadium was completely packed and totally divided on which team people were there for. I think most of the fans were for the Red Sox. We had decided to stay in a hotel all weekend in Downtown San Francisco so we headed there after the game. Since we are not from this area we really didn't know which parts of San Francisco are considered safe and which parts are not. Little did we know that the hotel we had booked was basically hookerville (Literally. I saw one on the corner, only wearing a fur coat and stiletto heels). We checked in then decided we didn't want to stay and we really wanted to go to Heather, Matt's sister's house in Concord so we went back to the front desk and were waiting in line to try and get out of our room. There were some kids waiting to get a room because they were going to stay the night after prom but the manager wouldn't let them because they didn't have a credit card for incidentals. Perfect opportunity for us. We went over to them and offered to let them keep our reservation and they could just pay us. It all worked out and we even found out that one of the kids was LDS. They were really nice kids so we weren't too worried about them doing anything to affect our credit card. We actually ended up making $5 on the whole thing. Pretty funny. So, we ended up going to Heather and Erik's house for the weekend and it was so much more fun than staying at that hotel. Not only was it a lot safer, but it was so much fun to be with family. Lately I have been a bit homesick so it was nice to spend time with family. On Sunday we went to church then relaxed all day. That night we all drove over to the Oakland temple. It was beautiful! We had a great time walking around and seeing the visitors center. While we were checking out the view from the temple grounds we were talking about clogging and I mentioned that I knew how. So, of course, I started clogging and a few minutes later this security guard came over to us. We thought he was going to kick us out but he said he had come over to watch the clogging show that I was putting on. I know, pretty embarrassing. We went home and woke up Monday morning to go to Alcatraz. Neither Matt or I had ever been and we thought since we are living so close by, we might as well check it out. It was awesome! The tour was so amazing and we just had a great time. I got to see the Golden Gate Bridge, FINALLY! When I came out last Summer, Matt and I got lost trying to find a lookout point for the bridge so I never saw it very close but that has all changed. It is amazing. San Francisco is definitely one of the coolest cities I have ever been to. We spent the rest of the day hanging out on the pier, shopping, and eating out for pizza with Heather, Erik, Lisa, and all the kids. It was definitely the most fun weekend we have had since we have been there. Thanks Heather and Erik for letting us come stay! And thanks Lisa for letting us kick you out of your room! We owe you :)

3 comments:

The Risenmay Family said...

It looks like you had a great time. We also love San Francisco and it is always so much fun to hang out with family. Travis will be in San Francisco next weekend for a conference, I wish I could go with him but we just had a little getaway. Take care and we miss you guys!

McKenna said...

I love San Fran. My Dad grew up there. I am definately jealous that you live so close.

It's very typical to have a hotel or hostel near the red lights district, it's the same case in Frankfurt. Although I'm glad you got out of it, you never really know what could happen. And staying with fam is always fun.

erik said...

we loved having you memorial weekend and this past weekend!! I've been in heaven this summer having so much family around.

lots of love!
Heather