January 19, 2012

Kids will be Kids

I was going to say boys will be boys but I think this story probably applies to all kids, not just boys...but then again, I don't know what it's like to have a daughter. I've been learning the last couple of weeks what I can expect in the future with having more than one child. Kids don't really like to share. Brady is struggling to share "his" toys with Gavin when really the toys belong to both of them. He will grab things from him and say "Da Mine!" and walk away leaving Gavin crying in the background. Well, Gavin usually would just cry and not actually do anything about it but yesterday he proved that he was very capable of standing up for himself. I gave Gavin a toy to play with on the floor while I played trains with Brady. Both kids decided that naps were out of the question and I knew it would be a long day if we didn't pull out the fun toys. We don't play with the train very often because I've learned that toys that have a lot of pieces are difficult around babies. Gavin grabs at everything and it goes right into his cute little mouth and comes out sopping wet. Brady gets mad and doesn't want to play with it but then gets mad when I put the entire set away. We've just decided that the train only gets played with when desperate for right now. Anyway, both boys were fine, playing happily with their toys and I kept thinking how much fun we were having and how excited I was to watch these two grow up and someday play together and teach each other things and blah, blah, blah :) (Matt always asks me what kinds of things I think about during the day...I tell him that I try to think happy thoughts...especially on days that seem so long.) Well, not 10 minutes in, Brady decides that he wants the toy Gavin is playing with. He takes it and Gavin starts crying. I take it back from him, explain that he needs to share, and give it back to Gavin. I try to get Brady back to the trains but now all he wants is that toy that Gavin has. So, it goes back and forth. Brady takes the toy, Gavin cries, I give it back, Gavin's happy, Brady is crying, and on and on. Finally, I was done. I started to put the train set away and had decided that we would go for a drive and see if that would help them fall asleep. As soon as I started picking up the trains, Brady wants to play with the trains. He chucks the toy back to Gavin and plays with trains. Ok, fine. Well, then he notices Gavin playing with the toy and he wants that too. 

This is getting long but I just have to put it down on paper because the whole thing was just hilarious. Brady grabs the toy and Gavin fights back. It's a tug of war between the two brothers and all I can think is that I hope Gavin wins so Brady will quit picking on him. Well, Gavin wasn't giving up so Brady decided to go back to the trains. Eventually they did play together nicely but it was crazy watching a 2 year old and an 8 month old spat over a a toy. Really...this is what we have to look forward to? Lots of fighting and not sharing...oh the joys of motherhood.

The pictures tell the story a lot better than that novel I just wrote :)

 Everything is good.
 Then the madness began. Gavin was not going down without a fight.
 So, Brady went back to his trains...and they decided sharing as ok.
I sure love these two stinkers!

No comments: