First, he had to have a consultation with an ENT. 10 min later I was told he needed tubes. Uh, thanks Doc. I could have told you that...how much do I owe you? Second, he needs to have a consult with an ophthalmologist. I called them to set something set up and they said they can't see him until the end of July. JULY! Seriously, it will only take 10 min. to have him seen! I told the girl that by then he will have had 3-4 more ear infections. She told me to call the ENT and have them call her so that's what I did. Pretty much been a very long and expensive process. Not to mention that both of these doctors are all the way up in Sugar House which is at least 45 min. from home. Oh well, I know that he will be so much happier after he gets tubes and he will also sleep so much better which will make me a much happier and better mom to him. We haven't scheduled the surgery yet but hopefully it will be soon. I know I am going to be a mess that day. When I worked as a pediatric dental assistant I watched kids get put under all the time for dental work but this is going to be my kid. I am going to struggle.
Any advice from parents who have had to do this would be much appreciated.
3 comments:
I know I already put something up on face book but we just went through that too. It was definitely well worth it. I would say just make sure you following the fasting instructions but honestly it is no big deal. When they did it for Troy there was no IV or anything just a little gas and the actual surgery only takes a few minutes and a few minutes later they wake up. No pain or anything really, just a little cranky when they wake up. Everyone that I talked to about it said that it was so worth it for them and that the benefits way out way the risks which are pretty unlikely! Not putting tubes in when they need it can lead to permanent hearing loss and speech delays from all the ear infections. Anyway you probably know all this stuff but I know I learned a lot in the process. We are so glad we did it and Troy is a different baby.(Babbling a lot more and over all much happier.) We are so happy to not be dealing with an ear infection every 2 weeks. Here's a link to my blog http://joshandmelissahakes.blogspot.com I think I posted it on May 1st. I think Brady will do great! Good luck! (Sorry this is so long)
Oh my - what a hassle they are putting you through! I'm sorry your getting slung around. I'm glad you are getting two problems taken care of, though. I was thinking about what it would be like if Naomi had to get them done and I felt so sad that she would be in a room without me. Unless they let you be there?
So I feel for you. But oh, he will be so much better! I'm worried Naomi might be on that same road. If she continues to get them in the next few months we may have to consider tubes. But, really, I'd almost prefer it over her being in pain and not wanting to eat and not sleeping well and having to drug her up so often.
Everything will go well and it will be like his shots. It's horrible while it happens, but is over quickly and he wont remember a thing. (I'll remember I said this to you if I have to do this too...)
Hi Katelyn, this is Aunt Kathy, and I had both Kevin and Lindsey have tubes in their ears.. twice! And Kevin had both tear ducts unplugged. The only thing that was different with them having tubes, was making sure they didn't put their head under water when in the bath, or for me to be careful when I put water over their hair when I washed it. Other than that it was wonderful cause Kevin started talkin clear after tubes at 3 yrs, cause he could finally hear what we were saying. :)
Post a Comment